pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Homemade finger paint

This morning we woke to cold weather, misty air and a light fog. Something you rarely see on the seashore.  It was a well welcomed treat especially seeing that this weekend we hit temperatures in the high 80's. Does mother nature not realize that it is October and we are so patiently waiting for a nice cool autumn.

Since it was cold and wet outside, I knew that I had to get creative to keep my active 2 year old happy and busy until nap time. That is a lot easier said then done.

He loves to color. It is one of the only things that can keep his attention for longer than 2 minutes, well other that Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. After coloring he kept asking for paint. I went running to the closet to see if we had any watercolors left over, none. How did I forget I get more paint. Thank goodness I have an awesome "recipe" for homemade paint. It is so easy to make, easy to clean up and if they stick their messy hands into their mouths, well it wont do them any harm.


Here is what you will need to make the paint:

1/3 cup water
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup flour
food coloring
a bowl
a whisk
a clean jar or a squeeze bottle

Put the water, salt and flour in a bowl and start whisking. I actually sifted the flour first because it helped to keep lumps out of the mixture. Whisk until its mixture is nice a smooth. Now add whatever color you want. My little ones favorite color is blue, so I added 10 drops of blue coloring to the mixture. Have fun, be creative! Whisk it until all of the color is dispersed evenly. Here, you can either put it in a jar, like I did, to use as finger paint or you can put it in a squeeze bottle to use to doodle.

Word to the wise....use thick paper. Since the paint is water based it can soak through the paper especially in the hands of a toddler. I used paper grocery bags and it worked fine.



Hand it over to your kids and let them go wild. Do not worry if they spill it, it is so simple to clean up from the table, the floor or their clothes, just use a dishcloth with warm water and wipe up.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment